Friday, March 6, 2009

Fix it Friday at I Heart Faces...


I am brand new to I Heart Faces. I came across it by using the "next blog" feature at the top of the blogger page while reviewing my own blog the other day. It is a wonderful site for photographers to participate in. So, today I am posting my edit to a beautiful photograph titled "contemplation."





I used Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom to create this gritty, moody, effect. Here are the steps I took...

1. after importing the image to Lightroom, I took it over to Photoshop for some editing.
2. Copy the background layer (Ctrl+J)
3. make sure to change the mode to 8 bit so that you can use the entire filter gallery.
4. under the "filter" menu, choose "texture"- "grain"
5. in the filter gallery under "grain type" choose "vertical"
6. play with the intensity and contrast sliders until you like what you see
7. click OK to return to the main screen.
8. select "screen" under the blending options in your layers palette
9. apply a mask to the layer and use a big soft brush to paint black to turn off the effect over the face and any other areas you want.
10. use the "curves" tool to create a new layer with a little contrast.
11. save and close the image to return to Lightroom
12. locate the new edited image and create a copy of it
13. with the copy in the "Develop" module, select "Direct Positive" in the creative Presets
14. play with the saturation tool to soften the color.
15. feel free to play with all of the sliders to create any sort of look you want. :)

Thank you!

-marika








7 comments:

  1. I love your artsy use of texture in this. Thanks for the detailed instructions! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the texture and feel of this photo! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... I love the texture and moodiness. Wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the texture.. nice job

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your edit, but I love your header photo.

    ReplyDelete